Android has a beautiful app to help you scan & analyze the Wi-Fi signals floating around you. But there are no 3rd party apps for iOS. This is a huge limitation.
Why? Why is this a limitation? Why is analyzing Wi-Fi signals important?
Well, the least of many reasons is to find a less crowded channel for your wireless router.
Fortunately, in iOS, there is an official method to find out the most crowded Wi-Fi channel. Official? Oh, yeah, because the app is created by ‘Apple.’ 🙂
Here are the steps to use the official method.
- Go to iOS settings and find Airport utility.
- Turn Wi-Fi scanner on. (As shown below)
- Open Airport utility app.
- Tap on “Wi-Fi Scan” (As shown below)
- And in the next screen tap on “Scan“. (As shown below)
- Wait 10 sec.
- Now you can see all the networks with their channels and levels. (As shown below)
- Remember the channels of top 3 networks. Those channels are not for you. 🙂
- Now you can stop scanning (at the top-right of the screen).
- Tap on a “I” button at the bottom-right of the screen.
- You should be able to see the most busy Wi-Fi channels.
- With this, you know which channels are crowded & which channels are free (or less crowded). Don’t forget about #8, which represents the top 3 networks and their channels.
Now you know the best channels for your beta router. Voila! 🙂